Thursday, March 6, 2008

Sola Fide, Sola Scriptura

For those who don't know the story, when Martin Luther was first separating himself from the Catholic church (and starting what would later be called the Protestant Reformation), his two main points were sola fide ("by faith alone") and sola scriptura ("the scriptures alone"). What he was saying was that we were saved by our faith in Jesus Christ as our atoning sacrifice, and that our lives should be guided by that faith and by the Word of God (the Bible), and not by a bunch of practices and rituals. His original intent was not to separate from the Catholic church, but to debate with them and see if they would change. However, he was not well received by any stretch of the imagination when it came to the leaders of the church. Nonetheless, he stood firmly by what he'd said and believed, and at the Diet of Worms (basically a trial of sorts), he was given an ultimatum: recant, or else. After a night in prayer, he came back the next morning, and after trying to address each of his works individually, he was ordered to give a simple answer to the question. He gave this reply:

"Your Imperial Majesty and Your Lordships demand a simple answer. Here it is, plain and unvarnished. Unless I am convicted [convinced] of error by the testimony of Scripture or (since I put no trust in the unsupported authority of Pope or councils, since it is plain that they have often erred and often contradicted themselves) by manifest reasoning, I stand convicted [convinced] by the Scriptures to which I have appealed, and my conscience is taken captive by God's word, I cannot and will not recant anything, for to act against our conscience is neither safe for us, nor open to us.

On this I take my stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen."

On this same principle is this blog founded. I am human, plain and simple. I err. I am not perfect (just ask anyone who knows me). However, I am not writing a blog about my perfection, but rather taking my devotional time and putting it up, that it might be of aid, guidance by the scriptures or encouragement to any that read it. Such is how I have always found the Bible to be in my life: Encouragement, Guidance and Aid. Make comments if you wish, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Jesus Himself encouraged us to "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. (Matthew 7:7)"

May God be with you today.

Amen.

No comments: